I suggest you ...

Allow tap-to-turn-the-page style of navigation, instead of just scrolling

When reading visually it's much more physical effort to scroll and more mental effort to make sure you don't scroll too far, etc. The tap-for-next-page-of-text style of navigation that most ebook apps use is useful here.

Clarification: I think both options should be available, depending on the user's wishes.

166 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rickybuchananrickybuchanan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add this feature. The concentration required for scrolling takes the joy out of reading!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our son is disabled. He is able to tap to turn a page but not physically able to scroll. This would be FANTASTIC to enable him to use read2go independently.

My son doesn't like the scroll down so he isn't wanting to use the Read2Go app :(

• Adam J. KesselAdam J. Kessel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After having watched my child used Read2Go for a while now, I wanted to leave another comment on this point. It is much easier for a beginning reader to use the BlueFire Reader style of reading and would make this tool much more user-friendly for children. As a programmer, I don't think it would be that difficult to implement screen-based page-turning (i.e. one screen-full of text at current font size = one page, no scrolling). Please reconsider this suggestion; if you observe a child reading a book with Read2Go vs. Bluefire or other reader software I think the benefit should be clear.

• Adam J. KesselAdam J. Kessel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. My six-year-old who is legally blind has a much easier time with the reading apps that support page turning rather than scrolling. BlueFire Reader seems to be the best, except it is a lot of work to get Bookshare books into BlueFire.

• DavidLifeDavidLife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought the program and this is my only complaint. Whenever i read on my ipad I tap to turn the page. I really don't enjoy scrolling to read a book. I want to have the option of turning pages. It doesn't have to fancy just a simple tap.... Thanks for the program and I look forward to updates.

• DavidLifeDavidLife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought the program and this is my only complaint. Whenever i read on my ipad I tap to turn the page. I really don't enjoy scrolling to read a book. I want to have the option of turning pages. It doesn't have to fancy just a simple tap.... Thanks for the program and I look forward to updates.

I bought this app for my son and it is unusable for him as well. He doesn't have the physical ability to scroll. I was really hoping that this would be a simple touch for turning pages so that he could read independently.

• WezloWezlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! Please, the app is unusable for our son because scrolling is so aggravating for him. He's used to page flips, and it's MUCH easier to track!

We bought the app, because we support the goals of read2go, but we won't use it until page flips are implemented.

• JessicaJessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much agreed - I make text and other "projects" into PDFs so I can open in iBooks and flick to turn pages rather than scrolling through Pages doc or other reader. So much easier for both kids reading long books and kids with physical disabilities. Just turning the page reduces how much you have to use hands and makes it MUCH easier visually.

• MirandaMiranda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Scrolling requires both motor planning and control, and then the visual motor control to find your place in the text wherever the page "landed." Page turning provides a simple swipe motion, and a consistent upper left to lower right pattern for those with visual motor issues. But keep the scrolling as a choice.

• Thor SpanglerThor Spangler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my favorite iBook features. If scrolling was automatic and smooth (and the highlighted text didn't jump around) I'd imagine that might be a positive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base