I suggest you ...

Add ability to export and import bookmarks and notes

It would be great to be able to export DAISY notes and bookmarks and import them. Then the user could use a PC or Mac-based player along with Read2Go and share notes and bookmarks between the instances of their books. Services such as Amazon Kindle do this already, though, obviously, only between the various Kindle software/hardware.

Perhaps use Dropbox as the intermediary: The user syncs the bookmarks and notes to a dropbox folder and associates her multiple DAISY readers with that folder.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ken PetriKen Petri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AndreaAndrea shared a merged idea: Allow highlighting of text and virtual sticky notes for annotating.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add a note taking feature.  ·   · 

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RiazRiaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there
        I have a great difficulty to add books from gutenberg and other downloaded books epub and pdfs in read2go.
        please help me.

• Ken PetriKen Petri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, it is possible in some desktop based players, such as ReadHear to import bookmarks and notes. My thought was that rather than have a specialized service, the ability to import and export booksmarks to a cloud service, such as Dropbox, would facilitate synchronization, perhaps file timestamp data could be read to help with syncing conflicts. As for the export standard, the one that AMIS and ReadHear follow for bookmarks and notes is 2005 DAISY bookmark DTD, which has provision for highlighting as well as bookmarking and notes. Bookmarks are keyed to ids and offsets within the NCX file.

I'm not sure where the IDPF is looking for emerging bookmark standards but collaboration with both DAISY and IDPF would be advisable before/during implementation.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

iBooks does a good job of note taking and note management for people who don't use VoiceOver. When using VoiceOver I have found taking notes much harder. For taking notes with VoiceOver i think that selecting lines text by using buttons would be easier than selecting text by with the iOS standard selection option. Once the notes are created iBooks does a good job of allowing users to email or print their notes. People with physical disablilities should also be kept in mind while developing a note taking feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base