I suggest you ...

include the "reader voices" from the original PC applications with the Read2Go app.

My students prefer the "reader voice" selections used in the PC applications, saying they are more natural and fluent sounding than the two included on the app.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Ginny GrantAdminGinny Grant (Admin, Read2Go) responded  · 

Yes, Voice Dream Reader is a nice app that integrates with Bookshare using our API, and does offer additional voices as in-app purchases.

For you Voice Dream Reader users, are there reasons that you are staying on Read2Go vs. moving over to Voice Dream entirely? Are the additional in-app voices priced correctly on Voice Dream?

I also see comments from some members that they would like to be able to re-purpose voices that they have already licensed in other Apps within Read2Go. My understanding is that iOS doesn’t support this concept of cross-app sharing of resources, but if you have examples of other apps that have been able to make use of voices already on your device, we can investigate.

We would still love to hear more insights from Read2Go users on which voices and how much you are willing to pay (keeping in mind that we have to pay for the license for the voice as well as Apple’s cut…). Thank you all!

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Katie AaronKatie Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd just like to say that with voice dream it is a good app. An I like the simple fact that the voices on that app r much more clearer an not so monno tone like rian an heather r. An with the james voice u only have to pay $2.99 for it. I think that james would b good tohave on the read2go app. So that way those that use read2go have a more veriety of voices to choose from.

• Geir BGeir B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ginny ...
        Regarding prices for voices. Like Manfred Muchenberger writes, I don't think that it is a big problem. Especislly if the price for an voice is similar to what I paied Voice Dream (14 kr (~ 2 Euro)).
        Best Zlegardd

• Manfred MuchenbergerManfred Muchenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Ginny
        I agree with Geir B.
        In Switzerland we distribute DAISY 3.0 full-text-only e-books and DAISY 2.02 ncc-only audio books with human narration.
        It would be easier to use one app for both type of books.
        Voice Dream can't play any audio books.

Regarding prices for voices I don't think its a big issue.
        With Voice Dream I have to pay EUR 2.00 for additional voices.
        If IOS doesn't support cross-app sharing of voices - with this low price it doesn't matter if I have to buy the voice again for another app.
        Best regards
        Manfred Muchenberger

Hi ...
        I'm useing both app's, becouse (to me) Read2Go is a Daisy Reader and Voice Dream a Text-To-Speech Reader with a beta (unfinished) Daisybook reader function. This may be a misapprehension, but it is my interpretation of the app's descriptions and my reason to ask for voices in different languages for Read2Go. If I've misunderstod something, I'm greatefull to be corrected.

• Manfred MuchenbergerManfred Muchenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in the VoiceDream app I can very easy buy very good additional voices.
        there I can chose between 23 English and also a lot of other languages.
        If you could implement it just like they did this would be perfect.

I've allready bought tts voices (norwegian, swedish and dainish) in several other tts apps (like i.e. pdf-readers and others that does't read the daisy format) as an in-app purchase, and would love to do that in your app as well. I'm an adult bachelor-student, and have been waiting "a long time" for this to come in your app (at least since the InDaisy-reader became unstable and suddenly diapeared (?) from the app store). Hope you will add this soon ... :-)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to use the voices we already have or in my case the mac voices already on my iPad would be wonderful. We shouldn't have to purchase the same voices over and over for use in different programs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe just include them as part of the program without charging extra for them? The default 2 voices are quite crummy. They are difficult to listen to after a few pages.

• Tammera L.Tammera L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AT&T Natural Voices and Microsoft voices allow a much more natural sounding and fluidity of speech then what is currently offered within the Read2Go application. I was quite disappointed, myself with the poor digitized speech quality and my daughter isn't fond of it, as it is different than all of her other speech output devices and applications.
        As far as cost goes: given that the Read2Go app is already a $20 app (which is a bit on the high end for readers in the world of apps from my reviews), perhaps you could offer your existing customers a free voice per user. For new customers, the consideration of allowing them to choose their own voice from samples prior to purchase would probably be widely appreciated. This way, the one voice would be included in the price of the app. Then, if people wanted more than one voice on the app, charge for additional voices.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many Bookshare users have TTS voice on their computers. It would be great if we could transfer our favorite voices to Read2Go via iTunes. (I don't know if this is possible.) I have had to buy my favorite TTS voice dozens of times for different iOS apps. Thanks

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

http://www.bookshare.org/readingTools has:
        Bookshare offers free higher quality, Acapela TTS voices to its Members that provide a highly natural reading experience. The voice can be used only with the Bookshare editions of Read:OutLoud and Victor Reader Soft.

Feedback and Knowledge Base